There have been five British Royal Fleet Auxiliary hospital ships named RFA Maine.
• RFA Maine (1905), was purchased in 1913, and named RFA Mediator. Renamed in 1914 after the loss of the first RFA Maine, the ship was sold back to her previous owners in 1916.
4,688 tons gross (originally). Dimensions: 390x53x27 feet. Built and engined by D & W Henderson & Co Ltd in 1906 at Glasgow, for Harris & Dixon & Co Ltd as the Heliopolis, acquired by the Admiralty in 1913 for conversion at Pembroke Dock to the hospital ship Mediator. On the loss of the former ship, she was re-christened Maine. (Sigwart)
7 March 1916. Maine.(ex Heliopolis). Conversion into hospital ship not completed. Considered by some to be totally unsuitable for this conversion. Sold by auction as lying at Pembroke Dock to Harris & Dixon Ltd. Reverted to original name. Estimated that total public expenditure on this ship exceeded £120,000. (Adams/Smith).
Later names - Methven, Borden, Perseus. Scrapped Genoa 1932.
|RFA Maine passing Tigne, Malta in the 1920s.|
|RFA Maine in Korea.|
|Laid down at Barclay Curle 1952. Cancelled. HMY Britannia was built instead.|